Project Description and Scope
ICZM project aims to identify and implement programs that will hopefully solve the pressing and emerging issues in the coastal zone that are sometimes inter-sectoral in nature. Some of the priority actions that have been included in the Project are summarized below:
- To implement a new/modified coastal protection plan (both hard and soft) along Digha-Sankarpur coast based on clear understanding of the coastal processes and causes of coastal erosion,
- To implement an extended and/or modified sewage system of Digha area including laying of sewer network, treatment of waste water by oxidation pond method, phyto-remediation and disposal of treated waste water,
- To promote better and sustainable livelihood in Digha Sankarpur coastal area through value addition of existing products, better marketing arrangement and development of some key infrastructure.
- To formulate and implement a plan to clean up the area with creation of infrastructural facilities like day centre, pay and use toilets, solid waste management system etc. for continued clean upkeep of the area,
- To implement a new or modified protection plan based on clear understanding of the estuarine and coastal processes and causes of estuarine and coastal erosion at Sagar Island,
- To promote better and sustainable livelihood in Sagar island area though value addition of existing products, better marketing arrangement and development of some key infrastructure.
- To implement construction of a major infrastructure facility, namely extension of grid electricity to Sagar Island with transmission line crossing Hugli river and
- To identify areas of capacity building and draw up plans of enhancement of capacity of institutions working in coastal zone management.
As a whole the scope of the entire project will be geared
- To identify the factors/activities responsible for depletion and degradation of coastal resources and their analysis,
- To identify the sectors affected by depletion and degradation of coastal resources,
- To formulate sector specific remedial measures for resource depletion/degradation including development of alternate livelihood,
- To identify ecosystem under stress, to analyse its causes and responsible factors and to formulate in applicable cases remedial measures to restore the physical/chemical/biological characters that were lost/modified/degraded,
- To identify extent and sectors affected by degradation due to pollution of estuarine and coastal environmental quality and to develop sector specific monitoring and mitigation plans including regulatory measures,
- To formulate a rational utilization plan of coastal space for developmental and conservational activities including space to be required for support of livelihood of local populace for environmentally, inter-sectorally and socially compatible development and management of the coastal zone and
- To estimate the effects of climate change and its impact on coastal infrastructure and livelihood and to plan for development consistent with the perceived climate change scenario.