State Project Management Unit
The implementation of the ICZM pilots by different agencies is being monitored by the State Project Management Unit (SPMU) which is constituted as a wing of the IESWM (a registered society under the administrative control of the Department of Environment, Government of West Bengal). The SPMU is the principal arm of the ICZM-West Bengal that is ensuring the successful implementation of the pilot programs by providing the required administrative, scientific and financial support to the implementing agencies. The SPMU constantly monitors and evaluates the performances of each the interventions and also introduces mid-term corrections, if required, to rectify any deficiency in implementation of the pilot programs.
The SPMU is being headed by the Project Director (PD). SPMU includes three Programme Units – Operation Unit, Finance & Administration Unit and Communication & Documentation Unit. Each Programme Unit is being headed by an experienced manager which is being designated as Programme Manager Operation, Programme Manager Finance & Administration and Programme Manager Communication & Documentation respectively.
The Operation Unit is constituted of five Scientists/Specialists as Ecologist/ Environmentalist, Planner/ Engineer, Oceanographer/ Marine Scientist, Fishery Specialist and Rural Development expert. Discipline-specific and time-bound expert input from selected Consultant(s) is a part of the staffing plan of SPMU. Finance & Administration Unit have 3 officers – Administration Officer, Finance Officer and Procurement Officer. Communication & Documentation Unit have 3 officers – Documentation Officer, MIS Expert and Communication Officer. In addition 4 Technical Assistants, 1 Cashier-cum-Accounts Assistant, 1 Administrative and Procurement Assistant, 4 General Duty Attendants is being recruited to assist the Project Director and different Programme Management Units of the project for their smooth functioning.
Roles and Responsibilities of the SPMU
- Overall project planning and management, directly implementing some of the state sub components, providing guidance, support and approvals where needed to the State Pilot Investment Executing Agencies (PEAs), and monitoring implementation performance of the PEAs.
- Ensuring compliance with agreed financial management policies and procedures including management of project funds, timely release of advance project funds to the PEAs, conducting concurrent internal audits for all state components, and ensuring compliance with audit observations, and submitting reimbursement claims to National Project Management Unit (NPMU)
- To organise IEC campaigns, exposure visits, training etc. for capacity building and orientation of the implementing Departments/ Agencies, CBOs and NGOs and Coastal Community at large through continuous stakeholder consultation and participatory approach.
- Ensuring compliance with the agreed procurement policies and procedures and high quality of engineering designs and construction, ensuring compliance with the project’s safeguard policies.
- Implementing enhanced Governance and Accountability Action Plan.